Nov 11, 2010

A New Adventure

I've been mainly horseless for the past three years of writing this blog, which is honestly one of the reasons I started it: to have an outlet for my horse-y needs.  But as of Monday, November 15th I will be the proud new owner of a 6 year old, palomino reining mare that I call Gracie.  Her daddy is this handsome fella:


That's right!  I've got a Wimpys Little Step mare who is pretty damn talented, if I do say so myself.  For long-time readers of the blog, you should know that I'm a recovering dressage rider and instructor.  :)  No, seriously, though....I just was over dressage and what it takes to actually get to the top (and then when you see horses like Totilas at the very upper echelon, it really makes you question the tenets of your sport).  So, I decided if I was going to start at the very beginning again and learn something new, it had to be something so foreign to me that my ego wouldn't get in the way of learning.  AND it had to appeal to my controlling, type-A character.  So reining it was and now that I've been doing this thing for a year, I think I'm really getting the hang of it.  Gracie is just a lovely surprise that kind of fell into my lap.

But now that I own her, I've created two goals for us next year.  Firstly, I aim for my trainer to campaign her and win a world title on her next year.  If I hope to ever own her long enough to breed her, I want her to have a solid show record.  She already has $7k+ in earnings -- we'll hopefully add a title and bunch more money to the pot.  Secondly, I hope to be Top Ten Rookie.  My secret goal is to get Rookie of the Year title, but I'm trying to be realistic and I think scoring in the Top Ten at Oklahoma is doable.  I think. 

So now that I've announced it to the world, I hope to document our journey from buying the early supplies to my wins and defeats at the shows.  Look for it to start tomorrow!  And I hope everyone will enjoy the ride along with me.

2 comments:

kippen64 said...

That is so cool!!! There's a nick name for Totilas, it is total arse. Thought that you might like that.

I keenly look forward to your updates.

Jane said...

Totally cool. I bet you're excited! How is it, being a horse owner (again) for 3 days??
Daddy is sumpin else, wow!