Nov 17, 2010

Equine Warfare and Hollywood - Robin Hood

I can't find any excerpts of the movie online, but I wanted to mention I recently watched the new Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe and I literally squee'd with delight at one of the early scenes.  They actually demonstrated how horses were used in wartime back in the day -- more precisely, there is a scene in which 3 or 4 horses rear up and bash down a castle (I think?) door.  I was giddy with excitement because I'm not sure I've ever seen such a thing in the movies before.  I mean, we always discuss how dressage was used in the art of warfare, but you never really see that depicted on-screen.  Has anyone noticed this scene or am I really just too horse-obsessed?  And are there more depictions of this sort of equine warfare that you can remember in other movies?  Couldn't come up with another.