Nov 17, 2010

Anky at the WEG Games



I'm late to the game with this, but wanted to put up Anky's reining video from the WEG games.  She's definitely not terrible, but she certainly didn't belong on the world stage in the reining discipline.  Maybe I'm overly prone to being paranoid, but I find it highly suspicious that she qualified as the reserve on the Dutch reining team, and suddenly one of the horses had to pull out, so in steps Anky.  The fact is that she's okay at this sport -- I honestly think I like her reining style far better than her dressage style -- but she's not wowing anyone.  Her horse doesn't stand still and she's just too hands-y.  She'd do better to lengthen her reins a few inches and stop worrying about his head -- believe me, I should know! 

Anyway, call me a conspiracy theorist, but it certainly didn't do reining (and the entire WEG Games) any harm to have Anky riding, especially in a new sport that's promoting itself heavily as the Next Big Thing.  I'll bet it drew a lot more of the dressage enthusiasts, and it certainly gave the NRHA a boasting point.  I suppose it's a little of sour grapes for me -- if she rode dressage the equivalent of how she's riding in reining, she certainly wouldn't be on the world stage.  And that really bugs me.  I can't begrudge people wanting a cross-over star, but maybe she needs a little more time to finesse her skillz.  Frankly, I'd be a little embarassed to do what she's doing, even though admittedly she's put a lot of time and work into this and it shows.  So, I guess that's the thing I really ought to take away from this -- not to be embarassed of putting yourself out there, no matter what the criticism.  If I could get better at doing that, I'd be on my way to Rookie of the Year.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Personally I'm very put off by her dressage training methods (rollkur) and wonder how she can be good at any horse sport. Her presence would be more apt to keep me away, but you probably have a point.

bunnyrider said...

Believe me -- I'm of the same opinion, but I tend to think we're in the minority. A growing minority, but a minority all the same. She has a huge fan base and, more importantly, a very recognizable name in the industry. You don't even have to do dressage to have heard her name. Just those facts alone ensure, at the very least, drawing a crowd for the curiosity factor.

Em Tanner said...

I think it is awesome that a top level dressage rider is trying reining, but I do not think she should be able to compeat in such a high level event! I am no reiner, but I know a good one when I see it, and although she did better than I ever could, she didnt do it WEG level! I think the reason she is there is because she is famous already in the dressage ring so she can be famous here too.
If you are intrested in another blog about horsey things, check out http://alltack.blogspot.com/