May 7, 2010

Official Trailer for Secretariat



While I know I'll watch this regardless of the quality, so far this trailer is not offering me any proof that it will overcome the Disney taint of feel-good, children's animal movies.  Well, except maybe for John Malkovich.  He looks awesome in this. 

Which makes me wonder where they went wrong when, in a movie entitled Secretariat, I am most drawn to a human character.  At least so far.  Trailers are often really bad indicators of the quality of a film, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but Hollywood would do well to go back and watch Phar Lap a few times to remember how to make a wonderfully engaging story about a race horse.  One in which the horse is plays a true starring role, simply because of the realistic bond between him and his groom.  That was one of the issues I had with Seabiscuit -- it was all about the story, the people surrounding the horse, but the horse just didn't present a strong figure that I engaged with.

No comments: