Nov 19, 2009

Pony Round-Up

Odds and ends that I've been holding onto for the past week:
  • Interesting article from the New York Times about how racehorse trainers seem to get barred and/or fined for drugs, yet still find an easy return to the track.  Asmussen, Rachel Alexandra's trainer, is cited as a prime example and I have to admit I've always felt a bit uneasy about praising RA's connections knowing that drug charge was hanging over him.
  • An LA Times article that I briefly mentioned in my Zenyatta / Breeder's Cup post a couple of weeks ago.  The debate about whether synthetic has done anything beneficial at all is still raging on -- you all know where I fall on the issue, but it does appear (at least anecdotally) that synthetic didn't really live up to the hype and in some ways quite severely (I'm speaking here of the possibility, cited in the article, that hind-leg injuries appear to be more prevalent to horses running on synthetic versus dirt).
  • Summer Bird will run in the December 6th Japan Dirt Cup.  Good on him and his connections!  I am glad to see he hasn't made an early exit to the stud farm.
  • Today the FEI approved a new doping test program.  Glad to hear it, but will be happier when I see more details on the program.  But.It does appear that riders will be required to keep a logbook of their horses' treatments.  Suck it, Isabell Werth!
  • Speaking of drug testing, there's this phenomenal Onion article skewering the NY Marathon pseudo-controversy as well as performance enhancers.  Totally absurd, but you can't help but get a kick out of it.

No comments: