Jul 29, 2009

On the Importance of Holding Lectures on Riding

Another Excerpt from School for Horse and Rider by Captain J.E. Hance, regarding the necessity of having lectures as part of the curriculum of any good riding instructor.

"I have what I call, for lack of a better term, a lecture. For this lecture, however, I do not have set subjects, but use it to make clear any difficulties encountered during the day and why, and also to make any explanation on any subject desired by pupils, if I am able to do so. If I did not have this hour's lecture, I could not teach and get good results. It is this daily explaining of things appertaining to riding which has given me what success I have had as an instructor, because during this period I have been able to make clear matters which were misunderstood, and by explaining the object of other exercises which could be practised after leacing, ensure that subsequent riding was not pointless."

This is my belief exactly.

No comments: