Jun 19, 2009

Thoughts - Blue Fire Lady



Here you are. If you want to actually see the movie, you can rent it from Netflix, but all you really need to know comes from this original theatrical trailer.

But. Let me just say that for all of the movie's obvious faults, I do still have a bit of a soft spot for it. It plays into that super familiar formula of a talented, innocent young girl that can quiet the spirit of a wounded animal. If the Onion A.V. Club can coin the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl for that certain type of love interest in an indie movie, then I would propose the term Serene Wholesome Horse Girl for the type of girl that always inhabits these types of horse movies.

She is pure of heart and the very embodiment of tranquility. She is the modern-day unicorn temptress. And really....it is the dream of every little horse-obsessed girl to be THAT GIRL. There is a horse out there that will perform only for you. I know people like to insist that it is the equivalent of the boy-girl relationship that will supercede the horse obsession in a few more years time. That a girl's love for a horse is about power and control. But I have always disagreed with that assessment. In some ways, it's almost more akin to a religious belief that we have been chosen for a higher purpose. That we possess a mystical talent that only horses (or animals, more generally) can see.

My intellectual side tells me that these movie and book heroines should be laughed at, eyes rolling at their patent absurdity. But, you know, I can't. I still secretly want to be that Serene Wholesome Horse Girl. I still think there is that untapped talent lurking within that no horse has managed to bring out. And really what's so wrong with that?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: