Jun 24, 2009

My Favorite Things - Zonk-It!


Fly Spray. Does any of it really work? I don't know. I think it all depends really on how severe your fly problem is and how sensitive your horse is. Every person I have met has a different recommendation for fly spray and why it's better than anything else on the market. So, I suppose it's a bit silly for me to be writing a post on my favorite fly spray. It's all subjective and it really just comes down to what works for you.

When it came to my horse I came to rely pretty heavily on Zonk-It! The fact of the matter is I NEVER found a fly spray that was perfect, but Zonk-It! is cheap ($9 for 32oz.), works well to repel flies even on some of the more sensitive horses, smells pretty good (though I suppose this depends on your nose -- I loved the baby powder scent and others at the barn were fairly grossed out by it) and doesn't seem to cause any skin irritation, even if you don't wash the residue off your horse for several days or weeks.

You might be saying "What?" at that last criteria, but TRUST. I used fly sprays that burned hair right off after several days of application without rinse-offs in between. Not a pretty sight.

So, give it a whirl. I promise that at the price point, it can't be beat. There are cheaper brands, but I gave up on them a LONG TIME AGO when I realized it was like putting smelly water all over my horse. And if you have more money to spare, you can always try Flysect Super 7. I also find it's very good, but a few dollars more expensive and it's on the oily side. Dust will attract to your horse's coat like nobody's business.

If you're totally against using anything chemical at all, I recommend the Eqyss Marigold Fly Spray. It's expensive ($17), but it uses a safe, organic compound that actually works. Unlike citronella products or Avon's Skin so Soft. Listen, I love that shit for the smell alone, but as far as subbing for fly spray you might as well be putting perfume and a blindfold on (for you - so you can pretend the flies don't exist).

No comments: