Jun 11, 2009

Look Ma, It's a Horse On the Web!

KhemosabiImage via Wikipedia


So, I was doing a bit of research on Khemosabi, the Arabian super-stallion of the 1970s, as I was considering doing a "Horse You Should Know" column on him. I probably still will, but looking at the list of subjects I need to get to, it may be awhile. However, I still wanted to share this amazing feature I found on him. Did anyone realize that an online webcast was done with him on September 11, 1999? I certainly didn't. In fact, I was rather shocked that the technology would have worked well enough to accomplish such a thing, but apparently it went off without a hitch.

It's nigh on 4 hours long and I will certainly be the first to admit I could not watch the whole thing. Mainly because I have a terribly short attention span, but also because it is rather amateurish -- shaky camera work, lots of unintended talking and some boring bits like watching the horse sniff the ground in a paddock. But for the very same reasons, it is fascinating to at least take a peek. And the idea that the horse was just that famous enough to warrant a webcast at that time speaks extremely highly of him and his legacy.

As a sidenote, I have personally come into contact with many Khemosabi babies and they all seem to inherit his very sweet and loving personality. I've always had a bit of a horse crush on him.

No comments: