Apr 30, 2009

Dorothy Lyons


OMG you guys!! I just wasted an enormous amount of time at etsy. It is disgusting how much time I can waste when I should be working, writing on my blog, writing my book, doing laundry....

BUT! I just bought Blue Smoke by Dorothy Lyons. I don't even know what it's about and I am still.too.excited.

I LOVE Dorothy Lyons. I must have read Harlequin Hullabaloo (aka Bluegrass Champion) over a gazillion times. It always struck my fancy because it was a different kind of horse book (i.e. set in the world of 5-gaited Saddlebreds). All the horse books always seemed to be about hunter/jumper, the wild west or, like, some inane story about how a young kid somehow becomes the next great jockey in some ultra-important horse race. Don't get me wrong here -- I loved those just as much as the next girl, but they were what I considered a 'known' formula. I just wanted to have access to something that was a little different, you know. I even liked the Linda Craig series because it was about Western Pleasure and trail riding. With Palominos! I suppose you could say that I tend to romaticize what is exotic to me.

Anyway, I'll review my beloved Bluegrass Champion here one day (yes, I'll even address the cruelty of tail setting). But in the meantime, I just had to brag about my delightful find. Somewhere on the web, it is mentioned that Blue Smoke is about Quarter Horse racing. Ha! I see a theme developing here.

No comments: