Oct 11, 2007

More Racing Woes

While I'm on the subject of racing and of other sad things....I know I am late in mentioning this, but this past weekend at Keeneland was a pretty horrible weekend for racing, as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't been terribly widely reported, but one horse flipped over in the paddock area and suffered severe enough head trauma that he had to be put down.

Teuflesberg fractured his ankle in the early part of a race - he luckily has been undergoing surgery and has a good prognosis. As long as he remains calm....(good luck with that)

And two races later Gold Train took a bad step which caused a severe fracture to the right foreleg and had to be put down.

Let me remind you that this is a track that installed Polytrack footing in order to slow the horses down to reduce injuries. Yes, you did read that correctly. I was recently griping about how asinine that is, when clearly the source of the problems are the fragile, too-wild animals that we are breeding and putting into training. Sure, amazing levels of speed are spectacular. But the horse body is fragile and continuing to breed animals that broke down early on in their careers does not compute. Sure, it could be just bad luck, but it could also be that the animal was overly fragile to begin with. Why perpetuate those genes? I just don't get it. This is the outcome, folks. Horses that are basically too fast for their own good. Their bodies don't seem to be able to sustain that speed. Is it really necessary to keep sacrificing these animals for our own pleasure before we realize we must stand up and make a change in the industry? I'm not saying I know best and that I know what needs to be done, but we cannot keep doing nothing....2 horses dead in one day is not okay, as far as I'm concerned.

1 comment:

Tangi Adopt A Rescue said...

What is best for the horses is not considered. Horse racing is a business and what is good for business - making money - is all that is considered.