Oct 8, 2007

A Band You Should Know - Blonde Redhead




Today is a little different for this column....I'm introducing you all to a band that I love instead of a horse that I love - Blonde Redhead. Why, you ask? And what does this have to do with horses? Well, the lead singer, Kazu Makino, is an avid rider. In fact, she is a Level 3/4 jumper as well as doing some dressage. I think that's more awesome than just about anything. Not only do I love, love her music, but she's completely super-cool for being obsessed with horses. I mean, what's cooler than an ultra-hip chick that also loves to ride? Ummmmmm, NOTHING.

Anyway, I got to go to Randall's Island on Saturday to see some super bands, including Les Savy Fav, Blonde Redhead, LCD Soundsytem, and Arcade Fire. All amazing bands, but the highlight for me was really Blonde Redhead. And they truly were phenomenal. She's quite possibly the coolest front-woman I've ever seen. And believe me, I've seen loads of bands. Kazu is pretty rockin'. And, oh yeah, there was a giant horse sculpture-thing on stage. If I were a singer, I would also have a giant horse-sculpture thing behind me. Actually I would like a giant horse-sculpture to just follow me around as I go about my day. Typing at my desk, buying lunch, taking the subway....where would this not be cool, really?

But I digress...

So, I totally got into the weird, loud after-party later that night and being the loser-y fan that I am, I walked up to Kazu and totally introduced myself. And she's super sweet. We had a long conversation about horses and riding and all that and it turns out we know a few people in common. Anyway, I only bring this up because I love their music and probably few in the horse community know about this band. And if it takes more than what I've written to go check them out...well, she often puts a bit of horse imagery into her song lyrics. I mean, what's not to like?

I'll just put this out there, but I believe it's totally irrelevant. There is a lot of press about how she was badly injured from a fall off a horse several years ago. And of course, people definitely discuss how that entered into her songs, etc.... Well, whatever....I don't really care about that so much. They write great songs and there is definitely horse imagery in the songs, but beyond that I don't see a lot of point in digging more. Your art is not always a complete reflection of your personal life. But basically I bring this up because it seems to be a big thing that she fell off and got badly hurt, etc...but no one talks about the fact that she's a really accomplished rider. Hell, I fell off badly many times in my life and I'd hate for people to only remember that about me. I'd rather that people make it secondary to the rest of things I've accomplished in my life. Anyway, that's my little rant....take it or leave it. But I'll definitely put a link up to their video. You'll adore it!!

1 comment:

Roz said...

Interesting to know.