Sep 4, 2007

Dirty Secret

So many things to blog about, so little time. I was away for the weekend (in Saratoga Springs, actually) and will be blogging many an item about the fab horse-racing there. But something I meant to write about last week has to take mini-precedence here:

I have a dirty secret. I LOVE bull-riding. I cannot explain this love. It is so great a love, in fact, that I am not even that embarassed to tell people about it. Since it always seems to be playing on a channel somewhere in my 5 gazillion stations from TWC, I will put it on for guests at my house - so they, too, can marvel at the amazing-ness that is bull-riding. Yes, it's sad and someday I will go in depth about why I find it so fascinating, but today I just want to profess my love. And now that you understand this about me, you will better understand just why on Wednesday night I was flipping through channels, nursing my 2nd blackberry bramble (an awesome drink that can floor you faster than you think) when I stumbled upon MY FAVORITE TV SHOW EVER!!! Ty Murray's Celebrity Bull-Riding Challenge.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Celebrity Bull-Riding. We have moved way beyond reality tv shows that simply humiliate. We now want our z-list celebrities to be in extreme physical peril. And that's sort of awesome, with an "A." There's not a lot to be said about the show itself - it's pretty dumb and they sort of dredged up the lowest of the low on the celebrity list. Why these people would risk not only public humiliation, but possible death is just beyond me. Maybe they figure that the career is dead, the body just needs to follow.... Whatever - who knows, really... But, anyway, they are participating in a television show in which they have 10 days (!!) to learn to ride a 1,800lb bull at a Nashville PBR event. Celebrities include: musician Vanilla Ice, actor Stephen Baldwin, actor/musician Leif Garrett, actor Dan "Nitro" Clark, actor Francesco Quinn, former football star "Rocket" Ismail, Ultimate Fighter Josh Haynes, X-Games motorcycle legend "Cowboy" Kenny Bartram and Survivor reality star Jon "Jonny Fairplay" Dalton. I think basically they should thank their lucky stars every time they get on and don't instantly break every bone in their body.

And, so far, in every episode at least one person has gone to the hospital. For some reason that cracks me up. I am a mean, mean person. Stephen Baldwin broke his shoulder. Some dude, Francesco Quinn, broke his arm and a rib (close to the lung, I might add). I mean, YEAH. Of course. Who thought they could learn to ride a bull in 10 days?! Who thought they wouldn't break their bones?! Who thought this was a good idea?! Well, okay that is silly - it IS a great idea. The person who thought this up is GENIUS. The person who persuaded celebrity morons to do this is FANTASTIC. I love this person. I love this show. And I love bull-riding the most.

No comments: